Welcome to The County Wexford Association of New York's Website!
The County Wexford Association is one of the oldest county associations in New York. It was founded in 1907 and incorporated in 1949.
The Wexford banner was made by the nuns of the Adoration Convent in the town of Wexford and, features exquisite needlework and workmanship. The front of the banner features Commodore John Barry, “Father of the American Navy”, who was born in Wexford and died in Philadelphia in 1803. The rear of the banner features Vinegar Hill in Enniscorthy, the site of the famous 1798 Rebellion and Father John Murphy who during the rebellion led the insurgents against the English. He was later executed in Tullow, Co. Carlow
The banner was completely refurbished in 1997 by the same order of nuns in Wexford town in honor of the bicentennial celebration of the 1798 rebellion in Enniscorthy 1998. A large contingent of County Wexford Association members traveled to Ireland that year to take part in a massive march through the town of Enniscorthy up to Vinegar Hill cheered on by a crowd of over 50,000 people.
Likewise that same year the “Pike Men” from Wexford marched with the Wexford Association in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade – over 150 visitors were hosted by Association members for 10 days in New York.
The Wexford Association, although a small Association by some standards, has staunch members and our annual dance is always a great success. In 2004 the Association donated $10,000 to the Micheal J. Quill Cultural and Sports Center in East Durham as our contribution for the Wexford flag in the Irish Park.
In 2007 the County Wexford Association of New York celebrated it's 100th Anniversary. Our Celebratory Dinner Dance was successfully held at Astoria World Manor on Friday March 16th. Approximately 400 people were present to both celebrate our 100th Anniversary and pay tribute to our Guest of Honor Breda Cahill.